A.W. Peet's professional contact details
I am a Professor of Physics at the University of Toronto (UofT) in Canada. The contact details below are for people wanting to contact me about physics- or university-related matters. Use this page instead if you want to contact me about personal stuff.
Who gets priority
Being a public intellectual does not make me public property.
In particular, I do not offer free physics tutoring or university mentoring on demand to non-UofT students. Folks seeking advice or academic opportunities should check my physics home page and advice pages first, before bothering me by phone or email. Those wanting some of my time should be prepared to wait their turn in line.
- Currently enrolled UofT students, especially those taking courses I am teaching.
- Physics researchers, especially gravitational string theorists.
- Prospective UofT students.
- Children/youths interested in physics enrichment or in becoming a theoretical physicist.
- Others genuinely interested in learning physics.
I do not tolerate harassment or abuse of any kind. If it occurs, I block, blacklist, and report the aggressor to pertinent authorities. Here are three examples of unacceptable communications from strangers.
- In multiple independent cases, pushy parents encouraged their kid to write to me expecting help with a science fair project on short notice. When I said no because I was too busy, the parents got angry and super abusive. One parent even
reported me for not helping his kid to my Department Chair and to the Provost -- the university's chief academic officer! 🙄
- A person with disordered thinking harassed me by telephone for several years. This is why my university phone line does not have voicemail: they would fill it with garbage. The harassment escalated into a physical assault in my office and a death threat. I feared for my safety, contacted police, and asked that charges be laid. The person was sufficiently ill that they were diverted to a treatment programme. They are still banned from entering the Physics building, despite repeated attempts to lift the ban.
- After I spoke up publically against brazen transphobia from another UofT professor, his fans harassed me on the basis of my gender identity for weeks via twitter, email, SMS, and phone. Gender-based harassment is illegal in Ontario: see Section 7.4 of the Ontario Human Rights Commission Policy on Preventing Discrimination Because of Gender Identity and Gender Expression.
- Prof. A.W. Peet
Department of Physics
University of Toronto
60 St. George Street
Canada M5S 1A7
- +1 416 978 3911
- 0900-1800 Mon-Fri (0900-2100 Mon-Sun if urgent)
Current Time in Toronto: