What is the subatomic structure of spacetime?
- 4D General Relativity is a remarkably successful theory of classical gravitational fields, describing physics we measure in experiments from microscopic scales all the way out to cosmological scales.
- Sadly, GR does not make sense as a quantum field theory: it predicts nonsense at ultra-short distances / ultra-high energies.
- String theory has proven to be the most promising approach to quantizing gravity so far, and that is why I use it as my toolbox.
Questions I investigate
- What happens to quantum information falling into black holes? Resolving Hawking's famous paradox would be incredibly satisfying.
- How does classical spacetime emerge from quantum gravity? c.f.: Qualitatively new emergent phenomena arising in condensed matter systems in the limit of a large number of degrees of freedom.
- Where exactly is the quantum-to-classical transition for gravity? And how sensitively does this depend on the precise context?
- AdS/CFT holography is one of the most important discoveries in theoretical physics in 25+ years. It is an exact duality between
It is more general than its string theory theory origins, and provides an excellent theoretical laboratory for investigating deep questions about quantum gravity in various dimensions.
- full quantum gravity with Anti de Sitter (AdS, or dS) boundary conditions and
- conformal field theory (CFT) in one dimension less.
Invitation to visit
- I am currently looking for one or two new grad students.
- If you might be interested in what I work on, I encourage you to stop by for a chat. I am not a scary monster and I don't bite! 🙂 My office is MP1118 -- aim for Burton Tower, take an elevator up to 11th dimension, and turn left. My campus phone is 83-911.
- Suggested courses (in order of importance):-
- Quantum Field Theory x 2
- General Relativity x 2
- depending on your undergraduate background, some of: Statistical Mechanics, Introduction to HEP, Math Methods, Current Interpretations of QM, Entanglement Physics.
- For more info online, please visit my home page.