A.W. Peet's personal contact details
The contact details below are for people I might want to hear from about non-academic matters. For academic matters, please refer to this page instead.
Who gets priority
- Trans, nonbinary, and gender nonconforming folks.
- Disabled folks.
- Women and femmes.
- Folks working to improve pluralism and inclusivity, on campus or off.
Who gets ignored
- Anyone making a commercial solicitation.
- Anyone wanting to argue with me about gender and/or social justice.
- Anyone asking me to educate them about something they could easily Google.
How I respond
♿️ Note: I answer personal emails intermittently, when lulls in my job activity allow. Long-term chronic pain (from sports injuries) means that typing more than a few sentences is expensive for me, whereas talking in-person or via audio/video is cheap. Please bear this mind when requesting some of my personal time for discussing matters of common interest. Please also know that I will do my best to take your communication constraints into account as well.
I do not tolerate harassment or abuse of any kind. If it occurs, I block, blacklist, and report the aggressor to pertinent authorities.
Here are two particularly egregious examples of unsolicited communications from strangers.
- Some dude in the USA stalked me online and harassed me for over four years on twitter, starting circa 2009. I blocked well over 300 of his accounts before I lost count. His pattern was to take potshots couched as grandiose criticisms of my perceived behaviour. He later restarted his harassment by email in December 2015. My hypothesis is that this guy was trying to get revenge for me besting him in a competition existing solely in his own mind.
- Some dude in Germany stalked me online after seeing a livestreamed public lecture I gave, and in April 2016 sent a long and extremely intrusive
fan email to my university account. In it, he tried to inject himself into my personal life and declared a fetish for my gender identity. He apparently lives under the misapprehension that I and others he obsesses about online exist for his consumption and enjoyment. Ewww -- get a better hobby!
- After I spoke up publically against brazen transphobia from another UofT professor, his fans harassed me on the basis of my gender identity for months, via twitter, email, SMS, and phone. Gender-based harassment is illegal in Ontario: see Section 7.4 of the Ontario Human Rights Commission Policy on Preventing Discrimination Because of Gender Identity and Gender Expression.
- +1 416 561 0579
1800-2100 Mon-Fri or 1200-2100 Sat-Sun
Current Time in Toronto: