The following details are for people wanting to contact me to discuss physics or university matters. I welcome contact from people with decent ethics, and encourage both brevity and clarity of purpose in a first communication. University of Toronto students get top priority and journalists get second priority; all other enquiries get answered as time and inclination permit.
Please use this page instead if you would like to contact me for personal reasons.
I prefer to receive business calls during business hours: 0900-1700 Monday to Friday. In urgent circumstances, you may call during 0900-2100 seven days a week.
Being a public intellectual does not make me public property. I do not tolerate abuse or harassment of any kind, online or offline. If it occurs, I block/blacklist and report the aggressor to all available authorities. Here are three examples of unacceptable behaviour.
Gender-based harassment can involve:
- Derogatory language toward trans people or trans communities Insults, comments that ridicule, humiliate or demean people because of their gender identity or expression
- Behaviour thatpolices and or reinforces traditional heterosexual gender norms
- Refusing to refer to a person by their self-identified name and proper personal pronoun
- Comments or conduct relating to a perception that a person is not conforming with gender-role stereotypes
- Jokes related to a person’s gender identity or expression including those circulated in writing or by email or social media
- Spreading rumours about a person’s gender identity or expression including through the Internet
- Outingor threatening tooutsomeone as trans
- Intrusive comments, questions or insults about a person’s body, physical characteristics, gender-related medical procedures, clothing, mannerisms, or other forms of gender expression
- Other threats, unwelcome touching, violence and physical assault.
reportedme for not helping his kid to my Department Chair and to the Provost (the university's chief academic officer)! I mean, come on. Professors like me already have a 100% full dance card, and we cannot just drop every worthy person and project in our queues to help random kids on the internet. It would be lovely if that were practical, but we do not live in Fantasyland.