A.W. Peet's professional contact details
I am a Professor of Physics at the University of Toronto (UofT) in Canada.
The contact details below are for people I might want to hear from about academic matters. For non-academic matters, please refer to this page instead.
Who gets priority
- Currently enrolled UofT students, especially those taking courses I am teaching.
- Academic physics researchers.
- Folks working towards a more pluralistic inclusive environment on campus.
- Prospective UofT students.
- Folks of all ages interested in physics enrichment or in becoming a theoretical physicist.
Who gets ignored
- Anyone making a commercial solicitation.
- Anyone wanting to argue with me about gender and/or social justice.
- Anyone asking me to educate them about something they could easily Google.
I do not tolerate harassment or abuse of any kind. If it occurs, I block, blacklist, and report the aggressor to pertinent authorities. Here are three examples of unacceptable communications from strangers.
- Pushy parents encouraged their kid to write to me expecting help with a poorly conceived science fair project on extremely short notice. When I said I was too busy to drop everything else in my work queue to help, both parents got angry and super abusive. The zealous father even reported me to my Department Chair and to the Provost -- the university's chief academic officer, for refusing. 🙄
- A person with disordered thinking harassed me by telephone for several years. This is why my university phone line does not have voicemail: they would fill it with garbage. The harassment escalated into a physical assault in my office and a death threat. 😬 I feared for my safety, contacted police, and asked that charges be laid. Years later, the person is still banned from entering the Physics building, despite repeated attempts to lift the ban.
- After I spoke up publically against brazen transphobia from another UofT professor, his fans harassed me on the basis of my gender identity for months, via twitter, email, SMS, and phone. 😒 Such harassment is illegal in Ontario: see Section 7.4 of the Ontario Human Rights Commission Policy on Preventing Discrimination Because of Gender Identity and Gender Expression.
- Prof. A.W. Peet
Department of Physics
University of Toronto
60 St. George Street
Canada M5S 1A7
- +1 416 978 3911
0900-1800 Mon-Fri (0900-2100 Mon-Sun if urgent)
Current Time in Toronto:
Please note: I do not provide on-demand tutoring or advice (free or paid) to members of the general public. Folks seeking advice or academic opportunities should check out my physics home page and advice pages before contacting me to ask for something.