A.W. Peet's professional contact details
I am a Professor of Physics at the University of Toronto (UofT) in Canada.
The contact details below are for people I might want to hear from about academic matters. For non-academic matters, refer to this page instead.
Who gets priority
Please remember that being a public intellectual does not make me public property.
In particular, I do not offer physics tutoring or university mentoring on demand to non-UofT students (free or paid). Folks seeking advice or academic opportunities should check out my physics home page and advice pages before phoning or emailing. Those wanting some of my time should be prepared to wait their turn in line.
- Currently enrolled UofT students, especially those taking courses I am teaching.
- Physics researchers, especially gravitational string theorists.
- Folks working towards a more pluralistic, inclusive environment on campus.
- Prospective UofT students.
- Folks of all ages interested in physics enrichment or in becoming a theoretical physicist.
I do not tolerate harassment or abuse of any kind. If it occurs, I block, blacklist, and report the aggressor to pertinent authorities. Here are three examples of unacceptable communications from strangers.
- In multiple independent cases, pushy parents encouraged their kid to write to me expecting help with a science fair project on short notice. When I said no because I was too busy, the parents got angry and super abusive. One parent even
reported me for not helping his kid to my Department Chair and to the Provost -- the university's chief academic officer! 🙄
- A person with disordered thinking harassed me by telephone for several years. This is why my university phone line does not have voicemail: they would fill it with garbage. The harassment escalated into a physical assault in my office and a death threat. I feared for my safety, contacted police, and asked that charges be laid. The person was sufficiently ill that they were diverted to a treatment programme. They are still banned from entering the Physics building, despite repeated attempts to lift the ban.
- After I spoke up publically against brazen transphobia from another UofT professor, his fans harassed me on the basis of my gender identity for months via twitter, email, SMS, and phone. Gender-based harassment is illegal in Ontario: see Section 7.4 of the Ontario Human Rights Commission Policy on Preventing Discrimination Because of Gender Identity and Gender Expression.
Do not send commercial solicitations or argumentative personal opinions about inclusion on campus to my university email account. It is for non-commercial academic business only.
- Prof. A.W. Peet
Department of Physics
University of Toronto
60 St. George Street
Canada M5S 1A7
- +1 416 978 3911
0900-1800 Mon-Fri (0900-2100 Mon-Sun if urgent)
Current Time in Toronto: